Since the legalization of marijuana, we’ve seen some sweeping changes here in Colorado. These shifts have also affected the veterinary care industry. We’ve seen a huge increase in cases of marijuana ingestion over the past few years! This is definitely something for pet owners to be aware of. A Fort Collins, CO vet discusses pets and marijuana.
Keep Pot Away From Pets
As we all know, our furry friends can be quite curious. Fido, in particular, will eat pretty much anything. Keep all marijuana products, including edibles and oils, safely out of paws’ reach. If marijuana is being smoked, put your four-legged pal in another area.
People can be a bit hesitant when it comes to admitting that their pets have ingested marijuana. This is due to embarrassment and old stigmas, or sometimes out of concern of legal repercussions. It’s very important to tell your vet the truth. Withholding this information can delay treatment and waste time, as your vet will likely start running tests. It’s also worth mentioning that these tests can be expensive, so you may end up costing yourself extra money. We’re not here to judge you: we just want to help pets feel better!
Ask Your Vet About CBD Products
You may have noticed CBD pet products, including dog treats, popping up. While there have been studies on the potential benefits of the use of CBD products in humans, there isn’t much definitive research on pets yet. Check with your vet before offering your furry friend any of these products.
Signs of marijuana ingestion in pets include confusion, staggering, whimpering, and unusual behavior. If you know or suspect that your furry friend has ingested marijuana, call your vet immediately. You can also contact the ASPCA Pet Poison Hotline, which is 1-855-764-7661. (Charges may apply.) In most cases, pets recover just fine with proper supportive care. This typically entails things like giving pets fluids and monitoring them closely. However, it is important to understand that marijuana can be toxic to pets in large doses. Plus, many edibles contain things that are toxic to pets in and of themselves. Brownies, for instance, may contain chocolate, nuts, and xylitol, which are all poisonous to pets.
Please contact us, your local Fort Collins, CO vet clinic, with any questions or concerns about your pet’s health or care. We are here to help!