Dogs are wonderful animals. If you share your Fort Collins home with a dog, your pup has probably surprised you a few times with his mannerisms or behaviors. Man’s Best Friend has been with us as a helper, guardian, and companion throughout the ages, but he still surprises us sometimes. The rapid advances we have made recently in technology are allowing us to learn more every day about how our canine buddies think, behave, and function, and some surprising and interesting facts about our furry pals have come to light lately.
Here are a few things that may surprise you about our furry buddies:
- Some scientists estimate that dogs can learn up to 250 words. That’s quite a bit more than the simple words and commands we assume most dogs know!
- The wetness of Fido’s nose can help him determine which direction a scent is coming from.
- When dogs drink, they use their tongues to scoop up water, kind of like little cups.
- Dogs actually have three eyelids. The third eyelid helps protect your dog’s eyes and keep them lubricated.
- French poodles actually originated in Germany, not France.
- When puppies are born, they are blind, deaf, and toothless.
- Dogs can pinpoint a sound in 1/600th of a second.
- Your pup has a noseprint that is completely unique, just like a human fingerprint.
- It’s been proven that petting a dog can lower your blood pressure.
- Fido’s sense of smell is about one thousand times more sensitive than that of a human being.
- The only sweat glands your dog has are between his paw pads.
- According to one survey, almost 90% of pet dogs like to be on their people, or at their feet, when it’s TV time for humans.
- The number one health problem in our canine friends is obesity.
- Dogs have 42 teeth and 321 bones.
- A dog’s average body temperature is 101.2 degrees.
- Over one third of American families own a dog.
- Dogs can sense minute changes in airflow through their whiskers.
- Dalmatians are born white.
- Some dogs can be trained to do laundry.
- Dogs can hear sounds that are four times further off than humans can.
- Dogs can sniff out drugs, weapons, bedbugs, and even cancer.
Our furry buddies are amazing animals and are always full of surprises. Please visit our site frequently for more articles from your Fort Collins vet about dogs and dog care.